Julius Kühn-Institut (JKI)
Federal Research Centre for Cultivated Plants
38116 Braunschweig, Germany
Tel: +49(0)531 596-0
- Motorway A 2 - exit Braunschweig-Watenbüttel, continue towards Watenbüttel.
In the village of Watenbüttel turn right and follow the signs towards Kanzlerfeld.
After 2 km, the agricultural research campus is on your right.
- Motorway A 39/A 391 – exit Braunschweig-Lehndorf, follow the signs to Lehndorf and Kanzlerfeld.
After 3 km, the agricultural research campus is in front of you.
The JKI Institute for Crop and Soil Sciences has two departments at different places on the campus. Next to the main entrance, you will find a site map on your right (or see map below).
- Arriving at Braunschweig Main Station (Hauptbahnhof, ICE stop), take bus M11 (towards Lamme) or bus 461 (towards "PTB") and get off at bus stop “Bundesallee” (travel time around 30 minutes) . This bus stop is opposite the main entrance to the 440-hectare campus.
- Dept. of Crop Science: a walk of 30 minutes (or arrange to be picked up by your host).
- Dept. of Soil Science: a walk of 5 minutes to the left. Here you can plan your timetable with Brunswick Public Transport.
Here you can plan your timetable with Brunswick Public Transport: Braunschweiger Verkehrsgesellschaft (BSVG).
The closest airport is in Hanover with a good train connection from Hanover main train station to Braunschweig. But the airports in Berlin are also easily reached, as there is an hourly ICE connection to Braunschweig.
The Bundesallee site in Braunschweig hosts several federal institutions. The Thünen Institute has its headquarters and several institutes on the campus; other institutions - besides the JKI - are the Friedrich-Loeffler-Institute, the Federal Office of Consumer Protection and Food Safety, the agrometeorological research branch of the German Meteorological Service (Deutscher Wetterdienst) and the Institute for Federal Real Estate (Bundesanstalt für Immobilienaufgaben).