The Julius Kühn Institute maintains genebanks and collections of plant genetic resources (PGR) as regards fruit and grapevine. The genetic diversity preserved in old varieties and wild relatives is a valuable resource our researchers use in breeding processes for enhancing plant adaptability to changing conditions. On behalf of the federal governement, we continue our breeding efforts in fruit and grapevine up to the release of new cultivars and we also produce our own wines.
Depending on availability, we deliver small amounts of plant material for private and scientific use, namely scions of fruit trees and stawberry plants from the collections of the German Fruit Genebank and vines from the German Grapevine Genebank. This service is part of our preservation work and carried out by our two specialist institutes: Institute for Breeding Research on Fruit Crops and Institute for Grapevine Breeding.
In this context, it is important to know:
Not all plants listed on the genebank pages are available at the JKI. The genebanks are coordinated by the JKI, but consist of specific collections preserved by and at different partner institutions. Therefore, before submitting a material request, we kindly ask you to check the databases of the respective genebank to see if the JKI actually receives the desired variety from the preserving partner.
- inventory of German Fruit Genebank (Deutsche Genbank Obst)
- inventory of German Grapevine Genebank (Deutsche Genbank Rebe) (institute code JKI: DEU098)
- The respective preserving partner supplies the plant material.
- If the variety is protected by plant breeder‘s rights (see database note), we are not allowed to transfer material.
- The transfer of plant genetic resources for use in research, breeding and training is based on the Standard Material Transfer Agreement (SMTA) – see Downloads
The JKI Institute for Breeding on Fruit Crops supplies plant material under following conditions:
- Requests for fruit tree scions should be sent to the Institute for Breeding Research on Fruit Crops, Pillnitzer Platz 3a, 01326 Dresden; firstname.lastname@example.org by October 15.
For distributing scions, special tests are necessary because of phytosanitary reasons (e.g. apple proliferation). To guarantee scheduled dispatch, later requests can not be considered. The material is dispatched in February the following year.
- Requests for strawberry plants should be sent by March, 31st. The plants are dispatched in August the same year.
Fees: The delivery is made against a fee in form of stamps worth €5.
Requests for private use: Is is possible to receive our plant material for private use as well. Before we process your order, please fill in, sign and send us the form „Transfer of plant material from the German Fruit Genebank for cultivation and propagation“ (Abgabe von Pflanzenmaterial aus der Deutschen Genbank Obst für Anbau und Vermehrung), available in German language only.
Julius Kühn-Institut - Institut für Züchtungsforschung an Obst
Pillnitzer Platz 3a
The JKI Institute for Grapevine Breeding supplies propagation material in form of scions. Requests should be sent to the Institute by November 30. The scions are dispatched in the spring of the following year.
Requests for private use: Is is possible to receive our plant material for private use as well. If you are interested, please fill in the Standard Material Transfer Agreement (STMA), available under downloads.
Julius Kühn-Institut - Institut für Rebenzüchtung